Thursday 16 July 2009

SuzyQ - Probably not what You think

I use the moniker SuzyQ for a variety of bike related forums and internet sites. I don’t address the bonnie in such a way unless it suits but I need something simple that I can recall. It does not come from a love of a small female rocker in the 1970’s, of which a few have assumed, but relates to the day of actually going down to the dealers to purchase the bonnie. The SuzyQ riff was steadily churning through my girl’s car stereo as she dropped me off that morning. A 1950’s beat mixed with blues guitar and cow bells…..its repetition making you recall it in your mind long after the song has finished its melodic drift. Sometimes a song comes along that sticks with you throughout your years that you never tire of hearing. Dale Hawkins’ ‘Susie Q’ is that song for me. My only mistake was to ‘mis-spell’ the name.

http://dalehawkinsmusic.com/

The 1950’s retro style influences my life – the music, the clothes, the cars, the bikes. Rockabilly, God I love it. Long after the quiff has been resigned to a small spike through a receding hairline, I still listen to its melodic slap bass, twanging guitars and haunting melodies of anguished teenage love. Sure there were other fads as I was growing up - hip hop, guitar rock and dance music but I always returned to that 1950’s innocence. Take a look at a Stray Cat’s album cover from the early 1980’s – Gonna Ball – and then try to convince me that there is a cooler look than a Rocker. With a passion for retro and rockabilly, it is but a short leap to choosing a bonnie as your bike. A bonnie it had to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gonna_Ball_cover.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment