Sunday 12 July 2009

Ladybiker - Musings and ramblings

Strange, but I’ve always enjoyed writing. I’ve often wondered how I fell into my profession which is numbers, numbers, numbers all day long. Still it pays the bills. My first real attempt at writing was for LadyBiker magazine. The editor was going to publish the article in issue 4 but the magazine seems to have stalled. Anyway below is the ditty……………maybe one day it will see the light of day in the magazine.

http://www.ladybikermagazine.com/index.htm

Losing a piece of you…………

Every time I’ve taken my Triumph Bonnie (LittleSuzyQ) out of the garage recently it has been tinged with sadness. You see I lost my pillion a few weeks ago and it still hurts, really hurts. We had been a happy threesome for the last three years exploring back lanes, country pubs and venturing further a field touring North Wales and the Cotswolds. Using SuzyQ whenever we could had brought us closer together than ever before.

It was on one such trip, as we huddled close against the cold on a journey back home, that I decided to ask her to marry me. It seemed such a natural thing to do and SuzyQ had been the catalyst. The three of us were so close we even went on honeymoon together. Leaving the wedding hotel with my new bride excitedly tapping my leg, giving me the signal to set off, as our guests waved goodbye still remains one of my fondest memories of the whole wedding weekend.

Now I stand here staring at SuzyQ wondering what to do. The black bench seat with its small but perfect pillion perch is redundant. It certainly won’t be feeling the warm glow of her on it again. I now know that I need to change it, get myself a single seat or at the very least buy a seat cowel. Anything at all to erase these sorrowful thoughts from my mind. Thearpy – that’s what I need. Yes - SuzyQ would like a new seat – I’m sure of it.

Worst of all though is bending down to turn the pillion foot pegs back in towards the bike. They’re not needed anymore. Now I know it’s final, there’s a bit of a lump in my throat, she has definitely gone, our threesome is no more, it is now just the two of us.

SuzyQ knows that something is not quite right. As I take her out she rebels accelerating faster than she has done for years, keeping her forks steady, not diving as I brake for a series of sweeping turns. I can tell she is showing off a bit “see it’s just the two of us now …………things will be wilder, we can go quicker, brake harder, turn tighter and have loads of fun together,” but it is tinged with bravado. She is not a quick bike and has never been interested in going quickly preferring to putter along admiring the scenery and taking in the sights around her, cheerfully letting the world go by as she takes her owner and pillion to their desired destination, drawing admiring glances wherever she goes. I know though that she yearns for her pillion as much as I do, but she is managing to put a brave face on it. So am I – at least I think I am. I must admit I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact that I’ll never have her arms wrapped around me, giving me a squeeze when needed to let me know she is enjoying herself behind me or just to keep us both warm on the journey home.

They do say that every cloud has a silver lining. Well I’m sorry to say there is no silver lining to this tale. Not at all silver - this time the lining is golden and sparkling with diamonds. You see I may have lost a pillion but I have gained a riding partner. A month ago my better half took her test and passed first time. Sure SuzyQ and I are feeling a bit emotional at the moment but we’ll get over it especially as our thoughts turn towards the year ahead – we have plans to make: where to go, what to see, how far, how fast …….and……dare I say it ………..‘as a foursome’.

Yes Dex (a Honda CBF 500) has joined SuzyQ in our garage. SuzyQ knows she is a bit of looker, a little bit vain even, always after that little bit of extra chrome to dress her up and make her stand out. I’m sure I can hear Dex flirting with her in the garage. He is clearly attracted to her and she likes the attention. I’ve noticed since Dex joined us that he has spruced himself up a bit to look his best with a new flyscreen and hugger. A handsome little bike if ever I saw one. SuzyQ has only been on a date with him once so far and although it’s early days I think she secretly enjoyed it. I’m sure they will both be stepping out quite a lot together next year. I think their relationship will definitely blossom. Don’t worry I’ll be keeping my eye on them.

And my good lady? Well she is quite simply fantastic and I’m immensely proud of her. She was a willing pillion right from the start and when she made up her mind to have a go at CBT and DAS I just knew nothing would stop her. A real ladybiker.

The point of this article? Well I won’t pretend that writing this down hasn’t been good for me. It has calmed my troubled mind. But there are other reasons. If there are any ladies out there that have rode pillion for a number years and are happy doing so – I’m sure your partner and bike will be very happy also. Threesomes are good. If however you do feel the urge to go it alone then make sure you grab it, be determined. Whatever you do don’t worry about those of us you leave behind – we’ll cope – and before you know it a happy threesome will become a cheerful and excited foursome.

No comments:

Post a Comment